Case Studies • Kettle Brand
Kettle Brand, a leading snack food manufacturer, was looking to expand its current oil portfolio of non-GMO, expeller-pressed high oleic sunflower and safflower oils. While their current options provided the better-for-you and sustainable qualities the brand desired, they could not provide a consistent cost or supply. Omega-9 Oils offered a cost-effective solution with expeller-pressed, Non-GMO Project Verified high oleic canola oil.
The team worked with Kettle to test the shelf life, stability, sensory characteristics and nutrition profile of the high oleic canola oil in production runs of various fried snacks to ensure it performed as well as safflower and sunflower oils. The expeller-pressed Omega-9 Canola Oil exceeded expectations on all key attributes.
- Taste: While nutrition continues to increase in its importance, taste is still king. In fact, 63% of consumers value the taste of salty snacks over their nutrition value.1 As Kettle continues to offer new, adventurous flavor combinations, taste is more important than ever to the brand. Expeller-pressed Omega-9 Canola Oil has a light, clean taste that allows the food’s flavor to shine through.
- Nutrition Profile: The fatty acid profile of Omega-9 Canola Oil is similar to that of safflower and sunflower oils, which enabled the snack manufacturer to incorporate the oil into its products without making changes to the nutrition facts panel.
- Sustainability: Kettle Brand appreciated the fact that Dow AgroSciences is committed to growing seed for Omega-9 Canola Oil in a sustainable manner supported by environmental stewardship initiatives, including the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and environmental impact.
- Secure Supply: Omega-9 Canola Oil is readily available through most major oilseed processors to meet the demand for healthier oils across the industry. With its far-reaching relationships and access to thousands of canola growers across North America, Omega-9 Oils are able to provide Kettle with a consistent supply of high-quality oil, while also offering cost savings.
– Lori Aljets, Vice President of Procurement (Retired)
SNYDER'S-LANCE, KETTLE BRAND